Our Lady of Conception Church

Raposos/MG

Description:Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Our Lady of Conception Church) is located on the right bank of the Velhas River, in the city of Raposos. Of unknown authorship, it was built between 1700 and 1704. The Church has a nave with side corridors, side towers, a sacristy and a choir alongside the chancel. Its proportions differ from those of the churches in Minas Gerais, as it does not have the typical verticality of other religious buildings.

Situation:This Church belongs to the Archdiocese of Belo Horizonte and still maintains its original function, holding religious ceremonies. The first was reconstructed in 1873. In 1903 and 1921, the Church was modified, undergoing alterations in its architectural characteristics. According to the data from a fieldwork done in 2003, it is in a good state of conservation.

Inventory information:This monument was listed on July 13, 1938, process 67-T-38, registration number 117, in the Fine Arts Book, vol.1, p. 21.

Photos: (48)

Drawings: (3)