Our Lady of Penha Church of Vitoriano Veloso

Prados/MG

Description:Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Penha – Vitoriano Veloso (Our Lady of Penha Church – Vitoriano Veloso) is located in the district of Vitoriano Veloso, in the township of Prados, near the city of Tiradentes. The district took its name from a partisan of ‘Inconfidência Mineira’ (a revolutionary movement against Portuguese colonialism in Brazil), Vitoriano Gonçalves Veloso. Of unknown authorship, the small Church dates from the second half of the 18th century. It is made of stone, with a simple façade and two back towers. Its cemetery is still being used. A ceiling painting of excellent quality stands out. It displays an amphora in the centre of a composition with rocailles and floral motifs. This Church is considered one of the richest in Minas Gerais.

Situation:This Church belongs to Our Lady of Penha Brotherhood and still maintains its original function, holding religious ceremonies. It was rebuilt in 1873. The last intervention happened in November, 2002, and in 2003, when the main altar was restored. According to the data from a fieldwork done in 2003, it is in a good state of conservation.

Inventory information:This building was listed on July 27, 1949, process 383-T-48, registration number 323, in the Fine Arts Book, vol.1, p. 68.

Photos: (29)

Drawings: (1)