Saint John Chapel

Ouro Preto/MG

Description:Capela de São João (Saint John Chapel) is located on Ouro Fino Hill, in the neighbourhood of Antônio Dias, in the city of Ouro Preto. Of unknown authorship, it dates from the late 17th century. The building has a simple front façade, finished off by eaves made of many tile layers, composing a triangular fronton. This fronton has a central cross and two stone elements on top. The windows are of the guillotine type, and there is also a central spyglass. The bell is outside the chapel, on its right side, close to a cattle guard consisting of bridges of isolated planks. The Chapel has a small courtyard, surrounded by a wall.

Situation:This Chapel belongs to the Archdiocese of Mariana and still maintains its original function, holding religious ceremonies. The most important work carried out there was the rebuilding of the sacristy walls, in 1761. Other interventions were made in 1855, 1878 and 1879. In 1954, IPHAN fixed the covering, repaired doors and windows, and did some cleaning and painting. According to the data from a fieldwork done in 2003, this building is in a good state of conservation.

Inventory information:This monument was listed on September 8, 1938, process 75-T-38, registration number 250, in the Fine Arts Book, vol.1, p. 43.

Photos: (11)

Drawings: (2)