Carvings of Jaguara Farm Chapel, Retables and Pulpits

Nova Lima/MG

Description:Obras de Talha da Capela da Fazenda da Jaguara – Retábulos e Púlpitos (Carvings of the Jaguara Farm Chapel – Retables and Pulpits), also called ‘Reminiscences of the Chapel of the Jaguara Farm’, were incorporated to Our Lady of the Pillar Mother Church, located in Bernadino de Lima Square, in the city of Nova Lima. The work, in baroque style, is attributed to Aleijadinho, and, according to some research, was concluded around 1780. It is considered the most complete set made by Aleijadinho and includes the main altar, two side altars, the chancel-arch ornamented border with two angels, the sacristy altar, two pulpits and a choir tribune. The main altar decoration comprises the figures of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, which is represented by a dove.

Situation:The Carvings of the Jaguara Farm Chapel belong to the Archdiocese of Belo Horizonte and still maintain their original use. According to some research, they went through an inadequate intervention: a thick layer of shiny brown varnish was applied to the works, covering the original painting and gilding. According to the data from a fieldwork done in 2003, these works are in a good state of conservation.

Inventory information:This monument was listed on June 19, 1950, process 429-T-50, registration number 370, in the Fine Arts Book, v.1, p. 74, and registration number 277, in the Historical Book, vol.1, p. 47.

Photos: (30)